Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Dukes

The Dukes of Hazzard was a weekly event. There was something about Rosco and Boss Hog that just compelled me to watch as Bo and Luke Duke made a mockery of the local and corrupt authorities. Okay, the flying General Lee and Daisy Duke provided additional motivation to watch, but come on, Boss Hog riding around in a white Caddilac with bull horns as the hood ornament? How could anyone miss it. I didn’t realize until much later in life that there must have been an entire fleet of General Lee automobiles. I thought Cooter was just a great mechanic.

Fast forward about 20 years when I find myself at Fry’s electronics in Wilsonville, OR on one of my only trips in recent years back to Oregon. This was probably at about the time there was a Dukes of Hazzard movie, and Fry’s had a special on the Duke’s of Hazzard Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Watching season one as an adult was a little disappointing. Maybe it was the campy southern 80s style television, but it just seemed something special was missing from the whole Dukes nostalgia I remembered from my childhood. Clearly we needed our own interpretation of the Dukes.

I now lived in Middlesex County, and the Dukes were from Hazzard County, so it was completely logical that we should have the Dukes of Middlesex. My boys adopted the Duke lingo, and pretty soon started calling my wife Ma Duke. She loves that...Now I’m not sure when Jodie realized this lineage of this honorable name, but Ma Duke caught on as a nickname which was occasionally abbreviated as simply Duke. On any particular day you can hear one of the boys asking, “Where’s Duke?”, and they are simply searching for mom and not the disks from season 1 and 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment